HIIT training, or High Intensity Interval Training, is an exercise strategy alternating short periods of intense anaerobic exercise with less-intense recovery periods. Put into simpler terms, that means alternating short-lasting blasts of exercise with rest on set intervals. In even simpler terms, HIIT is the best workout around.
HIIT became very popular when Crossfit gyms and fitness gurus all around the world (i.e. Kayla Itsines and Shaun T with INSANITY) started encouraging it and posting their results on social media platforms such as Instagram. EMOMs (Every Minute on the Minute) and AMRAPS (As Many Rounds as Possible) are now all the rage when it comes to creating a workout of body weight exercises. Basically, it strays away from the go-to workout of simply running or jogging straight for a set amount of time. At WeTrain, we’re all about HIIT when we work with our clients. Here’s why:
1. The spike and recovery pattern of HIIT improves cardiorespiratory endurance which allows for a higher caloric expenditure during your workout. Who doesn’t want to burn more calories
2. You will build lean muscle mass which will boost your resting metabolic rate and you’ll burn more calories all day long—feel free to have the extra serving of cereal at breakfast!
3. It’s great for busy people—you achieve more in a HIIT workout than you would from equivalent time on a treadmill. That means your workout can be shorter and you can get back to work in no time!
4. The exercises are shorter and change often, which means your workout becomes more interesting (or less boring as most of us feel) and you’ll be able to workout longer without realizing where the time went. Time flies when you’re having fun.
5. Since your workouts are on an interval, you’ll want to compete with the clock and the competition will spike your adrenaline and endurance while exercising.
6. You don’t need any sort of equipment to “HIIT it”. Exercises such as burpees, squats, push ups, sit ups, planks, squat jumps, (the list could go on forever), don’t require anything except for your own body-weight. We like to say the only thing you need is a space big enough to make a snow angel!
So here’s the deal, if you’re looking for a new way to spike your interest in working out, want to build lean muscle while burning more body fat, are slightly competitive and tight on time, HIIT, and WeTrain, are definitely right for you. Don’t worry, we won’t HIIT you too hard.